Home Security

Protect Your Home Learn. About the Risks of Carbon Monoxide.

Carbon monoxide detector.
Protect Your Home Learn About the Risks of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide isn’t the top-of-mind concern in home security, but its subtlety is what makes it so dangerous. Colourless, odourless and tasteless, it’s a gas that is almost imperceptible, but most definitely deadly, even in small quantities from a small leak.

As airborne carbon monoxide begins to replace the oxygen in your blood, you may feel dizzy and confused. Many people show flu-like symptoms like nausea, vomiting, headaches, and weakness. As more of your cells take in carbon monoxide and oxygen stops circulating, it leads to confusion, blurry vision, and unconsciousness. At this point, without fresh air, you risk permanent brain damage or death.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is particularly dangerous at night while people are asleep. If no one wakes up to sense the threat, the lack of oxygen simply keeps the victim asleep. This is not to be taken lightly, but you can protect yourself and your family by learning about the causes and prevention methods.

Smart homeowners are safe homeowners, so being aware of potentially dangerous gasses throughout your house is the key to preventing disaster.

Where does carbon monoxide come from?
Carbon monoxide is produced in a chemical reaction whenever fuel is burned. In a home, sources of the toxic vapour include combustibles like wood or charcoal, and fluids like gasoline, propane, and natural gas.

Get to know which appliances in your house use gas and can leak carbon monoxide — ovens, clothes dryers and refrigerators are the most common culprits — and have them serviced by a professional. The same goes for generators, furnaces and water heaters. Make sure all these devices are well ventilated, and check for cracks, leaks, loose connections and blockages. It may seem like a pain, but it’s an essential responsibility of being a homeowner. The best thing you can do is catch a potential problem before it becomes a real one. If you identify a leak, DO NOT attempt to patch up these leaks with a DIY method like duct tape or putty; these methods are ineffective.

Also, you should always avoid burning fuel in enclosed spaces. If you have a fireplace, clean your chimney to give the carbon monoxide an escape path. Similarly, if you keep your car in a garage, always open the garage door before starting the ignition.

Carbon monoxide oven detection.

If you have carbon monoxide in your home
Whether your detector begins to sound, or you have a sudden onset of symptoms, do not stay in the house or attempt to find the problem. Get yourself and loved ones safely to fresh and open air. At this point, if you have one of our CO detector, we will get the notification and call emergency services for you. Don’t re-enter your home until they have assessed the situation and a professional has assured you that the leak has been repaired.

The only way to detect carbon monoxide
A carbon monoxide detector is a necessity in every household to avoid tragedy. If you need one, we sell and install CO detectors to help make your home safe and secure.

 Obtain a free quote

Disclaimer: By using the Blog section of this website (“Blog”), you agree to the terms of this Disclaimer, including but not limited to our terms of use and our privacy policy. The information provided on this Blog is for informational purposes only. Such information is not intended to provide advice on your specific security needs nor to provide legal advice. If you would like to speak to a security representative about your specific security needs, please contact us.